This month has been very good for Isaac. He's been so good about wearing his hearing aides full time and actually prefers to have them on and he "never" pulls them out. (Well, almost never. I guess he didn't have them in for the above picture. geesh!) His last set of ear molds were made in September, just a couple of days before we moved. They've been great for him and I think they're just starting to get a little too loose. We've found a good audiologist from the local children's hospital, Nemours. We've had his hearing tested at the clinic that's near our home but Isaac was less than interested in sitting through the entire thing so we've had to reschedule an audio gram test for next month where we'll go to "the big hospital" downtown and take advantage of using two audiologist and the high tech video screens that they have in their sound rooms. I'll request new ear molds while we're there too.
Speech therapy is going well. She's working with Isaac once a week but in a few weeks, she'll start working with him twice a week. We're just waiting for her schedule to open up for a second session. He's starting to speak! It's all pretty gibberish still but he's talking and chatting MUCH more than ever before. He says Mommy and Daddy, and uses signs for Ethan, Camryn and Sloan. I'm trying to teach him to sign his name with an "I" sign but holding his little pinky finger up is difficult for a two year old. He says "eye, nose, ear, mouth, toes, shirt, shoes, socks, nigh-nigh, hello, bye-bye." He knows signs for most of the foods he eats and most of the animals that interest him. He loves to play with cars and trains so he says the words that help him play with those toys. Then he as a few cute phrases that just roll off his tongue like, "where did it go?" and "I don't know!" and "Ought-Oh (gibber/gabberish)." There's probably more vocabulary but that's all I can think of right now. It's wonderful to see and hear him at this point. I have high hopes for his future verbal skills. Slowly but surely, it's coming together.
No comments:
Post a Comment