Friday, April 17, 2009

A gift

Today is my birthday. A gift for myself is this new blog. For a couple of weeks now I've been considering starting a blog to document this journey that Isaac is taking us on so that I won't fill up my family blog with all of Isaac's info. I'll spend a week or two updating the last 6 months of his life and then I'll add posts as life allows me time.

Maybe I want to keep these kinds of posts seperate from my family blog because I haven't quite accepted his hearing loss as a main stream family thing. Maybe I need my own kind of therapy by sorting all of this out in writing. I don't know, it just feels better having this in it's own place for now.

Yesterday was his first full day with both hearing aides in. I was thrown off a bit by questions of "what's in his ears?" and "why does he have hearing aides?" and "how did you know he needed those?" etc. I guess I have to get comfortable with having to answear questions like that when I take him out of the house. It is different to see such a small baby with this kind of disability. I've never seen a baby wear hearing aides before my son started wearing them. Our military community is small so maybe it won't take long for most people around here to see him with aides. I'm not even close to being fluent in Spanish so when we're "in Spain" I guess I won't have to worry about comments because I can't communicate well enough in Spanish to discuss hearing loss.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Margaret! I'm sorry I wish I would have said something sooner. :) I hope you had a good day. I love your idea for this blog, we will all learn something. I will check back. :) Keep up with the pictures here, I haven't ever gotten enough of seeing that cute little boy.

    And while you're at it, come visit soon so we can meet him. :) j/k

    ReplyDelete